10 Breeders' Cup Runners Win Eclipse Awards
LEXINGTON, Ky. (January 22, 2017) – Ten horses who finished first or second in the 2016 Breeders’ Cup World Championships were honored with Eclipse Awards at the 46th annual Eclipse Award ceremony at Gulfstream Park Racing and Casino on January 21 in Hallandale Beach, Fla.
The champions included six Breeders’ Cup race winners:
- ARROGATE – Champion 3-year-old; Breeders’ Cup Classic
- CLASSIC EMPIRE – Champion 2-year-old; Sentient Jet Breeders’ Cup Juvenile
- CHAMPAGNE ROOM – Champion 2-year-old Filly; 14 Hands Winery Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies
- FINEST CITY – Champion Female Sprinter; Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint
- DREFONG – Champion Male Sprinter, TwinSpires Breeders’ Cup Sprint
- BEHOLDER – Champion Older Dirt Female, Longines Breeders’ Cup Distaff
The following Eclipse Award winners finished second in a Breeders’ Cup race last year:
- CALIFORNIA CHROME – Champion Older Dirt Male and Horse of the Year; Runner-up in Breeders’ Cup Classic
- SONGBIRD – Champion 3-year-old Filly; Runner-up in the Longines Breeders’ Cup Distaff
- TEPIN – Champion Female Turf Horse; Runner-up in the Breeders’ Cup Mile
- FLINTSHIRE – Champion Male Turf; Runner-up in the Longines Breeders’ Cup Turf
In addition to the equine awards, WINSTAR FARM, voted the Outstanding Breeder title, bred two Breeders’ Cup winners in NEW MONEY HONEY, who won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf and TOURIST, who captured the Breeders’ Cup Mile.
JUDDMONTE FARMS, owners of Arrogate, won the Outstanding Owner Eclipse Award.
Outstanding Jockey JAVIER CASTELLANO, won the Juvenile Fillies Turf aboard New Money Honey.